Thursday, February 7, 2013

give it some sass

As the 'older' generation classifies it, Sassafras is a type of tree who's root was used to make tea. The more modern crowd will define it as a feisty person with pizzazz.

...I choose the latter definition for obvious reasons. Sassafras is the way I choose describe my design style as well. I like classic pieces with an extra punch of unexpected zest.

My Mom was getting rid of a DVD storage box we've had since I was younger. I had to add a few nails to ensure the sturdy factor but then I took a step back....

and it was horribly ugly. 

I had recently found and purchased shelf liner in my favorite *Gray Chevron* pattern so I decided to give it some sass! Here's one more example of out with the old, in with the new!

 ßthis stuff is pretty awesomecomes in so many fun patterns and will stick to virtually anything!

 

I really like the revamp! Im not exactly sure what Ill be using it for but I know it will come in handy. Im moving from a 900 sq ft. place to a 2,000 sq ft. condo in a month and Ill have plenty of unused space. Best part is I can hang it from a wall, stand it on the ground or set it on a table. 


Ive been seeing these retro gold corners on everything these days (frames, tables, shelves). I wanted to test it out on something I already owned. I have two record album frames hanging that are plain black- perfect!
 I taped off the corners and painted them with gold paint. (Please note: I tried to use a gold paint pen the first time around- Dont try it. It gets gunky and stops working halfway through, causing you to rub alcohol on the frame to remove it.)  
Our Fifth House has great tips for using Rub N Buffto achieve the  gold corners on her furniture.I think Ill test this method out with my buffet in the new house!



 Voila!

Oh the wonders paint, liner, and outdated items can create! Check back soon for more easy updates your wallet will agree with.




1 comment: